Dementia Friendly Southern Nevada (DFSN) is adopting the National Memory Screening Program (NMSP) initiative spearheaded by the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA). DFSN is promoting early detection of memory problems, including Alzheimer’s disease and related illnesses, and encourages appropriate intervention. As part of NMSP, qualified healthcare professionals and trained nursing students will offer free, confidential memory screenings as well as follow up resources and information about dementia and successful aging. The Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health will allow trained nursing students to administer the memory screenings. These screenings are not a diagnosis, but can suggest whether a medical evaluation would be beneficial. Extensive study has indicated that these screenings are of value to individuals who participate in them.
The Memory Screening Project aims to:
- Provide free, confidential memory screenings to those with memory concerns or who want to check their memory
- Eliminate the stigma and fears associated with dementia
- Encourage those with memory problems to follow up with an exam by a physician or other qualified healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis, treatment, social services and community resources. Otherwise, if a person does not have a healthcare professional, the person is requested to seek a healthcare professional through their health insurance provider.
- Educate the public about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, and successful aging
- Alleviate the fears of those who do not have a problem
Please consider the following volunteer opportunities and complete the form below.
- Counselor– preferably a trained social worker or healthcare provider who can provide emotional support and counseling to address follow-up memory screening questions or concerns.
- Check-in Registration– assist with check-in process and distributing numbered tickets.
- Flow Coordinator– calls and collects numbered tickets for the next participant.
- Room Monitor– alerts the flow coordinator when the next screening station is available.
- Escort– ushers the memory screening participant to the next available screening station.
- Survey Collector– collects surveys from participants after memory screening.
- Other donation- coffee, water, snacks