For more information about how to get involved in any of projects, call us at 775-682-9444 or email [email protected].
Join an Action Team: Community members can join one of two action teams that are working to make Washoe County more dementia friendly and inclusive: the Dementia Awareness, Training and Education Sessions (DATES) Action Team and the Open Door Café Action Team.
Schedule Some DATES for Dementia Education: The goal of Dementia Awareness, Training and Education Sessions (DATES) Action Team is to provide and evaluate dementia education opportunities to individuals and groups. These efforts help community members across multiple sectors become more welcoming and inclusive of people living with dementia and their care partners as a result of their increased knowledge.
- Dementia Friendly Washoe County is currently offering free, one-hour Dementia Friends Information Sessions to interested individuals and groups. The goal of the Dementia Friends program is to help community members understand five key messages about dementia, how it affects people, and how we each can make a difference in the lives of people living with dementia.
- More information about the Dementia Friends Information Session can be found here.
Build a Network of Support at the Open Door Café: The goal of the Open Door Café Action Team is to launch and sustain the first Open Door Café in Washoe County, an inclusive and comfortable gathering place for people living with dementia and their loved ones.
- The mission of the Open Door Café is to provide and encourage opportunities to relax, have fun, socialize and develop networks of mutual peer support within a welcoming environment. Any person who is living with memory loss, dementia or aging with intellectual and developmental disability is welcome at the Open Door Café, as are their families, friends and invited professional care partners. The Open Door Café is FREE to participants and meets on the third Thursday of each month from 2:00 – 3:30 PM at the Lake Mansion (250 Court ST, Reno, NV 89501).
- If you have any questions or would like more information about the Open Door Café, call us at 775-682-9444 or email [email protected].
- You can download the Open Door Café flyer here.
Become a Dementia Friend: A Dementia Friend participates in a one-hour Dementia Friends information session offered by a Dementia Friends Champion or a pair of Champions. A Dementia Friend learns five key messages about dementia and learns a bit about what it’s like to live with dementia. The Dementia Friend then turns their understanding into a practical action that can help someone with dementia living in their community. Their action can be as big or as small as they choose—every action counts! Contact [email protected] to learn more.
Become a Dementia Friends Champion: Community members can receive training that enables them to become a Dementia Friends Champion and facilitate Dementia Friends information sessions for friends, family, colleagues and the wider community using resources developed by Dementia Friends USA. The goal of the Dementia Friends information session is to help community members understand five key messages about dementia, how it affects people, and how we each can make a difference in the lives of people living with dementia. Contact [email protected] to learn more.
Help Us with Community Outreach: Volunteers can help distribute dementia community needs surveys and spread the word about our goals and activities.
Give a Donation: The Dementia Friendly Washoe County community action group meets monthly, and each action team meets at least monthly as well. Donations for refreshments and supplies are always welcome.
Provide Meeting/Event Space: Local organizations and businesses can offer to host a dementia friendly community event at their location.