Dementia Friendly Washoe
Anakaren Lamas, Family Care Associate, Latino Outreach/State Affair Lead, Alzheimer’s Association of Northern Nevada
Jennifer Carson, Research Assistant Professor, Community Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Reno
Phone: To be announced
Email: To be announced
Sector-Specific Action Teams: Community members can join one of three sector-specific action teams – Business and Retail Action Team; Good Neighbors Action Team; or the Open Door Café Action Team – to help plan and implement community-driven goals in Washoe County.
Dementia Friends Champions: Community members can receive training that enables them to become a Dementia Friends Champion and facilitate Dementia Friends Information Sessions for friends, family, colleagues and the wider community using resources developed by Dementia Friends USA. The goal of the Dementia Friends Information Session is to help community members understand five key messages about dementia, how it affects people, and how we each can make a difference in the lives of people living with dementia.
Community Outreach: Volunteers can help distribute dementia community needs surveys and spread the word about sector-specific activities.
In-Kind Donations: The Dementia Friendly Washoe County community action group meets monthly, and each action team meets at least monthly as well. Donations for refreshments and supplies are always welcome.
Meeting/Event Space: Local organizations and businesses can offer to host a dementia friendly community event at their location.
Community-Driven Change: The Dementia Friendly Washoe County community action group aims to develop and promote a community that is respectful, educated, supportive and inclusive of people living with dementia and their care partners. This goal is mobilized through a collaborative, multi-sector approach to community-driven change utilizing the Dementia Friendly America process. Adopting an ‘authentic partnerships’ approach, the direct engagement of people living with dementia and their care partners is central to our values and process.
Sector-Specific Action Teams:
- Business and Retail Action Team (BRATs) aims to help businesses effectively respond to the impact of dementia on both customers and employees, from improving interactions and customer experiences to addressing the needs of employees who are caring for someone living with dementia at home.
- Good Neighbor Action Team (GNATs) aims to increase the public’s awareness regarding the warning signs of dementia and existing dementia-related resources, improve general knowledge about dementia, and how to best interact with and support a person who is living with dementia.
- Open Door Café Action Team aims to improve opportunities for community engagement, up-to-date education and peer support for people living with dementia and care partners.
See Us in Action:
- Agendas and meeting minutes
- Results of our most recent Dementia Community Needs Survey
- Videos and photos from recent activities
Nevada Dementia Supports Toolbox: A second aim of Dementia Friendly Washoe County is to promote and expand the reach of the Nevada Dementia Supports Toolbox, evidence-based programs that are currently available within the state to educate and support people living with dementia and their care partners.
Dementia Friendly Nevada: Dementia Friendly Washoe County is part of the Dementia Friendly Nevada initiative, which launched six community action groups with support from a federal grant that was awarded to the Nevada Aging and Disability Services Division. Current Dementia Friendly community action groups include: Elko County, Humboldt County, Pahrump, Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, Southern Nevada (Urban) and Washoe County. Dementia Friendly Nevada community action groups receive co-facilitation support from Dr. Jennifer Carson, Research Assistant Professor, Community Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Reno, and evaluation support from the Sanford Center for Aging, University of Nevada, Reno.